in Civil Engineering
Civil Engineering is one of the oldest branches of
Engineering because it deals with the day to day
necessities of life and provides for physical infrastructure
of our modern society. Civil Engineers are concerned
with all types of structures including dams, bridges,
pipelines, roads, towers and buildings, transport systems,
the design and management of our gas and water Supply,
sewerage system, harbors, Airports and railway.
- To design, planning, managing and supervise the construction of roads, pavements, hill roads, road drainage system, pipeline towers and buildings, dams, power stations for electricity, embankments, construction of canals, head of work, river training work, drainage work, regulatory and other Civil Engineering Structures which should be safe, environmentally sound.
- Includes the jobs of detailed surveying, plotting of survey data, preparation of survey maps.
- To supervise operations involving proportioning, mixing, transporting, placing, compacting, finishing and curing of concrete.
- Construction of water supply and providing portable water.
- Collection and disposal of waste solids and liquids, sewage treatment works.
- To Preventing water logging and Irrigation works by tube wells.
- To supervise fabrication and erection of steel structures.
- To design simple steel structural elements.
- Make changes in design depending upon availability of material.
- To read and interpret Structural drawings of different elements.
- In Civil Engineers may specialise as chief civil engineers, construction engineers, municipal engineers, structural engineers, transport engineers, or water supply distribution engineers.
- Civil and public health engineers may work in the private sector as consulting engineers, project managers or construction contractor or in a wide range of government departments.
- Work opportunities for civil engineers are affected by fluctuations in the building and construction industry. As a result, he number opportunities may rise or fall over a short period of time.
- Prestigious civil engineering projects such as express highway, Railway project, large dams and various bridges, Water Resources and Environmental Projects, Transportation /Traffic in india and abroad require Civil Engineers.